Find a Nanny or Governess
British American Household Staffing is the leading domestic staffing agency that provides the highest quality nannies, governesses, and newborn care specialists. Our nannies are qualified in a plethora of areas, such as holding degrees in Childhood Development and Child Psychology and PhDs in Education and Psychology.
Find a Nanny or Governess
If you are interested in finding a nanny, please contact us at email@example.com or submit your information with the form below.
What is a Nanny or Governess?
A nanny will care for your children and maintain a flexible schedule to suit the family’s needs. They will have a substantial amount of childcare experience and will sometimes hold a degree related to childhood education, such as Early Childhood Development. Some nannies or governesses will hold a Master’s degree in Education.
In England many qualified nannies or governesses will hold an NNEB certificate which involves training the nanny on all forms of childcare from infant to special needs and placed an emphasis on fieldwork. The Norland Nanny school also offers excellent training in the UK.
Your nanny can work a variety of schedules such as a 7 day live in, or 5 day live out. Seasoned, career nannies will be accustomed to heavy travel and long hours. Most will drive and swim. Some specialize in specific age groups such as infant or school age.
Governesses are trained caretakers and hold a nanny degree or certificate from a reputable college and will often be qualified to tutor certain academic subjects. They serve as both nanny and educator. They will often structure a formal schedule that aims to further the development of the child/children. Some nannies or governesses will speak a second language and be able to teach children this language.
General Requirements to be a Nanny
- No criminal record, no DUI, updated CPR certificate
- Excellent, verifiable references from a family member of the previous employers
- Kind, loving, caring and a lot of common sense
- Quick thinking, responsible, intelligent
Requirements to be a Career Nanny
- At least five years of experience working in an HNW or UHNW home
- A Bachelor’s degree, usually in Early Childhood Education, Psychology, or an equivalent field
- Must be able to swim and drive well
- A flexible schedule
- A up-to-date passport. Green Cards can be suitable, but the nanny must be able to travel (domestically and internationally) with the family.
- An understanding of correct and proper etiquette and how to teach manners
- Age-appropriate experience for the position in question
- Physically fit and healthy. A nanny should be able to physically keep up with children and promote healthy eating habits. (Note that this does not relate to a nanny's weight)
- Well-spoken. If the family is English speaking, the nanny should have an excellent spoken and written command of the English language
Hire a Nanny or Governess
If you are a nanny/governesses looking for employment, please visit our Candidates page. We have excellent college educated nannies and jobs for college educated nannies in NYC, CT and in CA, San Francisco and Los Angeles.
For more information see How to Hire a Nanny: What to Know and How an Nanny Agency Can Help and The Super Nanny
Please either call us at
East Coast : (212) 966-2247 (BAHS)
West Coast : (310) 592-7183
UK : +44 (0) 20 7846 0175
Florida/Yachts : (561) 213-0890
or submit your contact information below and our office will be in touch shortly.